Nine people have been shot dead in Khayelitsha.
- Nine people were killed in an apparent revenge shooting in Khayelitsha on Saturday.
- It followed the murder of a man earlier in the day.
- Men were killed at a shop, in a yard and in a vehicle.
Nine people were shot dead in Khayelitsha in Cape Town on Saturday.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa set out the devastating sequence of events:
- A man was murdered in RR Section on Saturday morning.
- The body of the first victim was found, with a firearm and a substantial amount of cash.
- In what is believed to a be retaliatory attack, two Somali nationals were then fired upon at T110. One died on the scene and the other was seriously wounded.
- In the RR Section, three men were shot dead later on Saturday afternoon, in an incident believed to be linked to the first two.
- At a spaza shop in Y-Block, two men were shot dead – one in a yard and one in a vehicle.
- Two Somali nationals were shot close to a spaza shop in the area. One died on the scene and the other was taken to hospital, but died later.
The Western Cape’s acting provincial commissioner, Major-General Thembisile Patekile activated an intensified 72-hour plan.
The police have asked anyone with information to call 08600 10111, or to use the MySAPS App.
Did you know you can comment on this article? Subscribe to News24 and add your voice to the conversation.
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can
trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to
a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism,
top opinions and a range of features. Journalism
strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.